i like.
i shoot.
i share with you here.


For your viewing pleasure.
–Kayla Hartzog

Interested in some photo or design work? kaylahartzog@gmail.com

Monday, January 25

If it aint broke, dont fix it








A few shots from my thesis 1 project. These photos were shot with 35mm and printed in the van dyke process. It began as a study for me to get back to my roots photographically and personally. Technically, I knew I wanted to work in some type of traditional process, after learning the van dyke process I knew it would fit perfectly with my concept. For these photos, I traveled around the state, mostly to small towns, to find the people and places that have withstood the changing times. The process of taking these photos quickly became my favorite part of this project. I had the opportunity to meet, chat, and learn alot from a few incredible people. You might recognize one in particular, my grandfather, who I will credit with my original inspiration for this project. No life exists with out a story and a past. These photographs are about capturing the lifestyle of these people in a single photograph. I hope these photographs show the pride and comfort in these people and their way of life.

“Stare. It’s the way to educate your eye, and more. Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long.” -Walker Evans